Thursday, November 20, 2008

Trials

I have always been grateful for my trials and have been known to say "bring it on Lord, I can handle it" (Russ got really mad at me for that one). But seriously I have. I know that I have become a better person because of each and every trial I have been through in my life and I am also grateful for the blessings that come afterwards. But when the trial involves one of your children it is entirely different! We took Mason to Reeslyn's eye doctor today because she told us that she wanted all of our kids to be checked in their first year of life just to rule out the same problems that Reeslyn has (Mallory's check-up was normal). I fully expected the same for Mason's!!! He is the most active kid ever and has never given me any inclination that he can't see. But he can't, in fact he is as blind as a bat and the doctor said "I can't believe that he is even functioning!" Now I know that this is not the worst trial that the Lord could give me! And I am in no way saying oh poor me but it really hit me like a ton of bricks today! Reeslyn has done AMAZING when it comes to her vision, you would never know that she can't see. And I know that Mason will be the same way but it just sucks right now.

15 comments:

Claire said...

Oh wow! I'm sorry to hear this. I'm with you... watching Mason move around and interact, I never would've guessed he had vision problems!! I'm glad they caught the problem quickly though, so it can be corrected...

Aleisha said...

Katie,
You are amazing. I love how positive you are. I am sorry about the little Mason's eyes. That is so hard but if anyone can handle it, it is you. I really look up to you and hope that I can try and handle my trials in a more positive way. It is all for our learning and progress. Thanks for reminding me.

Brooke said...

Katie,
I am sorry to hear that about mason. I agree though, if anyone can handle it it's you. Maybe it will be a little easier after going through it with reeselyn. I have always looked up to how positive you are about EVERYTHING...it's hard not to get discouraged and down. You have the right to get discouraged just like everyone else...but like you said, how would we grow without trials right? Keep your head up girl...you'll get through it!

Mama J said...

That just STINKS, That is the same thing i worry about with my new baby but in a different area... Is she going to be able to hear? So i kinda know how you feel! Are they going to be able to do glasses??? I bet he'll do GREAT!!! Keep your head up!!

Neysa said...

I'm sorry Katie. Your kids are soooo adorble though. Oviously the lord knows that your one person that could handle it so I that is a compliment really. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO REESLYN. That's neat that she likes sea food. I HATE it. My kids won't eat it either.

Family of Disney said...

Can this be right? When we have been around him, he doesn't seem blind. If he is, wow he functions amazingly well. You are right this does suck for you guys, and most for Mason. He will be blessed in other ways. Keep the great attitude

Anonymous said...

So sorry. It's always hard when something happens to your kids...hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Ah, Katie! I'm so sorry. We sure do take every little thing for granted sometimes. (When I say we I mean me!) You go along and just expect that your children are going to have perfect health. I'm so so sorry.

You are such a good mommy and such an inspiration to those around you. I know Mason will do just as well as Reeslyn because he has such a great Mom to lead and direct him. I know nothing that I say can be of any help, but I think the world of you and hope that you start feeling better soon. When you're hit with a ton of bricks just start picking them off one at a time. Let me know if I can do anything to help. ANYTHING

It's Been a Day! said...

well, at least you discovered the problem and can move on to step 2 - the solution. i'm not much of a "bring it on" type of girl when it comes to my trials, but I do agree that they make us better people and looking back, I realize what I should have done better and how much I did rely on the Lord. Now I could just remember that each time I'm facing one it might help!

Jeni said...

I'm sorry!! That's hard. You would never guess cause he's so active and daring. Good luck!

Jessica said...

we are definitely keeping him in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Wow Katie, what a shock and so sad! It's hard when such a difficult trial is on such a sweet little boy! At least he's happy and unsuspecting. He and Reeslyn will be glad to have each other and no doubt you and Russ will always help them to see the world and themselves perfectly! Sorry to hear the news, hopefully he's a miracle boy and can improve his eyesight over time!
I admire your strength!

Katie and Howard said...

Katie,
You are an amazing and postive person. I know I don't know you very well, but its easy to tell that you are wonderful mom. I'm so sorry about this trial. I can't imagine how it would feel having something happen to your child. We will keep your family in our prayers.
P.S. We think Mason is such a cutie!! And glasses will make him even more.

Jess said...

Katie, sorry to hear that. I am also inspired by your positive attitude. That is a gift and a blessing to you and your family. Hope things turn out okay.

SimplyGigi said...

I didn't realize how bad your oldest's eyesite was. Of course I noticed her glasses but I didn't realize how bad it was. Is there a reason for it...or is it just something hereditary they have gotten?