Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My Middle Mallory


Mallory is our middle child. She is calm and even tempered. She is the peace maker. She loves having an older sister and loves being an older sister. Whenever she refers to anything it's always mine and Reeslyn's, for example... mine and Reeslyn's mom, mine and Reeslyn's room, mine and Reeslyn's barbies, mine and Reeslyn's books. She is very careful to never refer to anything as just her own, it's always hers and Reeslyn's. Not only is she a middle child but she likes everything in the "middle". She sits in the middle stool. When we are in a public restroom she has to use the middle stall and wash her hands in the middle sink. She always wants to sit in the middle seat in the car, which of course Reeslyn fights her for because it's her job as the older sister. She loves being in the middle of her siblings. She loves to play with Reeslyn and she also loves to play with Mason. Mallory can sometimes be overlooked because she's in the middle. She has an older sister with vision problems and a younger brother with vision problems. She has gone with me to optical stores to get glasses adjusted or ordered or fixed countless times and she never complains. But today we went to a new place that our insurance takes to order a new pair of glasses for Mason. I had been there a week before by myself to see if they had anything in Mason's size and I had talked to them about ordering some new glasses for my older daughter as well. So when we went today the lady looked at Mallory and said something like, "now what kind of glasses should we order for you?" I was at the other side of the room chasing Mason and all I saw was the look on Mallory's face. She was beaming! Then Mallory looked at me and I knew exactly what she was thinking... will mine and Reeslyn's mom notice if I leave here with glasses on? In that moment she was so excited that somebody was giving her the attention at the glasses store instead of Mason and Reeslyn. When I walked over and let the lady know that this was actually not the daughter that wears glasses Mallory was so mad. I felt really bad that I had to be the one to burst her bubble because I could tell she really wanted her "moment" to last a little longer. So Mallory is now the proud new owner of some really cute sunglasses! We love our middle child so much and she is constantly giving us our comic relief. I don't know what I would do without her, she really is the calm before (and after) the storm :)

4 comments:

sweetvictorya said...

Cute. It think it's cute how she likes everything in the middle. Better not have any more children and upset her perfect middle balance. =)

Brooke said...

SO CUTE! MALLORY-I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IT'S LIKE BEING A MIDDLE CHILD! :)

Jennie Minor said...

she is cute! I love this story! and the picture!

my mudda' calls me jack said...

I don't know who will end up being our middle child yet, but Todd and I were discussing it the other day and so far we're not seeing Heidi or Gwen fit into that category... Maybe it takes a couple of years to grow into...
p.s. loved your mason + falling + seizures = hospital story.