Sunday, February 28, 2010

Ragnar Relay

This is me waiting for my first run to start. The first 4 miles were uphill and they were killer but I survived.
I got to run with 3 girls from my ward and we kept meaning to get a picture of all 4 of us together but we never did so here is our Primary President at least :)
I was the water girl for this leg

My sister-in-law Stephanie and I got to pass off to each other on one of the legs. She did a cartwheel to finish out her run just for me :)
Our most creative runner Elisha got these shirts made for us with our names and runner # on the back and she made the cute headbands to go with it. The were so cute!

*

Now for the memories...
All 12 of us were rookies so we had never run a Ragnar before and we didn't really know what to expect but one thing we didn't expect was to have the race totally shut down because a runner was hit by a car and sent by helicopter to St. Joe's Hospital. Everyone was re-routed to the next exchange and 6 legs of the race were lost. By the time the race was started back up and our team was able to start running again 4 hours had passed and we had been on an emotional roller coaster. It was hard to think about another runner in our race having such a horrible thing happen to him. But at 7:30am Van 2 was now running the legs that Van 1 should have been running. After Van 1 and 2 had finished 2 legs each there were only 6 legs left for 12 runners to complete so obviously only 6 runners got to run the full race which was a little dissappointing after all the training that we had done. Obviously there was no way around it and we still had a lot of fun but it sure changed the race a lot.
I ended up running 19 miles total. My first leg was 4 miles of straight uphill and then a couple miles of down. My second leg was my favorite. It was 8.7 miles in the middle of the night. It was dark and cold which are 2 things I'm not used to running in but it was so invigorating. You are by yourself for the most part, I saw 4 other runners the entire 8 miles so there was a lot of alone time which got a little scary at times but was still exciting. My last leg was 3.8 miles in Fountain Hills. There were some major hills that kicked my butt! but I survived.
The race was different than I expected because of some unfortunate events but I made some great friendships and I'm still glad I did it but I'm not sure if I will ever do it again.

***

Update on Robby from Ragnar

this is a letter from his Dad...

Today at 12:20pm our dear Robby was delivered to a new life in heaven where he'll never again feel pain, never again feel sorrow, and forever feel joy and happiness as he looks down upon us for our remaining days on this earth. We have been completely blessed to have him born into our family. It has been an honor, a privilege, and our greatest joy to raise this beautiful, smart, musical, and kind-hearted boy as our own. Time is such a relative thing, and we choose to think that 18 years with something so wonderful, so magical in our lives is great gift. We are truly blessed. And now we'll move to honor Robby's wishes to be a complete donor where all of his strength and beauty can be shared to those in need of their own miracle. So please know that all of your prayers were indeed answered and there was a miracle. Robby just chose to take and grow it ten-fold by changing the world with the gift of himself. That's such a "Robby" thing to do! Thank you so much for such a massive and healing outpouring of love and support over these past painful days. We're forever grateful for Robby's friends and their families, the Brophy community, the ASA community, our 12 News family, and the amazing staff here at St. Joe's. I know you'll keep us in your prayers as we begin this new chapter in our lives.

With love and gratitude, Dan, Landis, Danny, and Frances Mayasich

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats girl...what a great accomplishment for all of you! Glad you are all safe.

Spencer and Marlee said...

I am so glad that we got to be there when you got home!! It was fun hearing about the race! GOOD JOB!! Sounds like a run full of tons of different emotions. You girls did look cute and I love that Steph did a cart wheel!!

Bronwyn James said...

eight miles in the middle of the night by yourself? that does sound kind of cool/frightening. it makes me want to get my joggers on tonight and go try it. i'm 100% sure i'd do it if i weren't 7.5 months pregnant. well, maybe 90% sure. 28%?

Maegan said...

Wow that sounds so fun and so emotional all in one. So sad for the runner that got hurt but glad you still had fun! I am actually really jealous, it makes me want to sign up for one. I shoulda done it with you :)

Jessica said...

a couple of my friends that did the race said they saw your team and that you guys all looked really cute!

Di and Justin said...

YOU BETTER DO IT AGAIN... JUST WITH US NEXT TIME :)
You better be ready for June just in case someone gets hurt during training ;)
You always seem to amaze me.. you rock....