Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Mason Mason Mason

Mason hits his head all the time, case in point...


Since he started climbing out of his crib he thinks that if he comes out of his room with his blanket on his head then we won't see him. And he runs into walls and hits his head along the way but it doesn't matter he just keeps on walking until we catch him and put him back in his bed. I never think too much about it because unless I wrap this kid in bubble wrap he's just going to keep hitting his head on things, he's a crazy kid!

But today we found oursleves in the Emergency Room because of this pretty little head of his... Let's go back to Sunday. I was at home with the kids while Russ was at work and the girls come into my room and say that Mason has fallen off of Reeslyn's top bunk in her room I think to myself how bad can it be he jumps down from Reeslyn's bed all the time (I have even posted a video of it before). Then I thought, well why isn't he crying??? So I run into their room and he is laying on the floor trying to get up but he can't (this is when the panic sets in). I try to pick him up and he is completely limp. I scoop him up in my arms and he is completely white and I can't get his eyes to focus on me. I frantically call Russ at work and he doesn't answer (hello he works in the ER I need his expertise right now!!!) I call Keith & Steph next door and through sobs I tell them to come over. They run over and by the time they get there (about 10 seconds) he has totally come to and is look around like nothing happened. Then he fell asleep and he slept until the next morning (this happened at 5:30 pm). I made sure to wake him up every couple hours though to see if he would respond and he did every time. The next morning he wakes up just like normal and he hasn't had any symptoms of it since. Ok now fast forward to today. Mallory went to a friend's house and Russ is asleep because he worked all night and I need to go to Wal-Mart and I think to myslef I should really wait until Russ wakes up so I don't have to take Mason because he is a climber and no matter how tight I make the seatbelt in the cart he always finds a way out. But I go anyway. Right when he gets in the cart I put his seatbelt on and cinch it tight. I then go straight to the bakery to get him a donut because I figure if he's busy eating he won't climb out. This works beautifully until the donut is gone but I'm not done shopping yet. So sure enough he climbs out of the seatbelt and falls out of the cart. I look over and the whole scenario from Sunday plays back in my head. He is on the ground and can't get up. I pick him up and he is limp. His face goes white. I call Russ (he answers this time). He tells me to come home and he will look at him. I start walking to the check out (because I want to at least pay for the donut that he already ate). I notice that one of the lenses has popped out of his glasses so I turn back to look for it. Then he starts to have a seizure! This part didn't happen on Sunday so I am a little freaked out!!! I call Russ back because now I don't know what to do, do I stay and look for his lens on the ground (I know, crazy), do I call 911, do I take him to the hospital. I was frozen. I couldn't make a decision. I tell Russ to drive up here right now and help me. He gets there in record time but now Mason is completely out and won't come to. Russ does all his handy ER stuff to try and wake him up and nothing works. He won't wake up. Now I don't care about the lens (but I am a little worried about walking out of Wal-Mart without paying for his donut) Russ tells me to get over it and get in the truck so we can go to the ER. He calls one of the doctors that is working and then calls his sister (who is the director of the ER) and we get there in record time. They are all waiting for us in the ambulance bay and I get out with Mason in my arms and I lose it!!! I am bawling because my baby won't wake up and they walk up into the room and I set him down on the bed and he wakes up! (and starts screaming I might add). They take him straight back to CT and he is still screaming and scared to death. They want to try and get the CT without sedation but it's not looking good. He only wants Russ to hold him so he goes in with him and I have to wait in the hall. I hear him screaming and I say a prayer (please Heavenly Father help him to calm down so they don't have to sedate him, please!) He stops crying. They get the scan and the nurse comes out and says "Wow that gave me chills, I can't believe he just calmed down so quickly, you must have quite the touch Russ (little does she know). They were able to get a great scan of his head and the results... he has a really big brain and everything looks normal (the doctor really did say he has a really big brain). After the CT was over he was up and running around like nothing ever happened. They told us it's very normal for kids his age to have a seizure after hitting their head. So we are in the normal category all around and that's where I want to stay! Oh and we did find the lens for his glasses, it was in the weirdest spot (another tender mercy). And I went back to Wal-Mart and paid for his donut!

24 comments:

amyegodfrey said...

My goodness! That is quite the adventure, and I'm glad things turned out well.

[BrookeO] said...

I am so glad that he is okay. How scary.

Claire said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so glad he's ok!!!!

Bronwyn James said...

Katie, what a nightmare! That whole story made me sick to my stomach. I'm glad it all turned out ok. He's such a precious little thing!

It's Been a Day! said...

I'm so glad he's ok. I have to admit, I got a little teary eyed reading the story - I can't imagine what you must have been going through. So glad there was a happy ending and I hope you don't have any more head injuries for a very long time!

Anonymous said...

Oh Katie, I'm so sorry, I'm right there with you, Kennedy's fallen a couple of times on her head, so I totally understand the freak out who wouldn't. I'm so glad he's okay. What a blessing that you have family at the ER and what a bigger blessing to have the knowledge to pray to a loving Heavenly Father to help. I was crying & found myself saying a prayer that Mason will stay spunky crazy self but to stop climbing.

The Booth Family said...

AH! This totally made me cry! So scary! Good job though, I don't know what I would do. I am so glad he is okay.

THE LEWIS' said...

katie you are amazing. I love that through it all one thing that you were worried about was paying for the donut. Most people would have totally not cared and forgotten about it. That is what i love about you. Mason for sure is going to give you early grey hair!! i'm so glad you found his lense and that he is ok.

Katie and Howard said...

I'm so glad he's ok!! How scary, I couldn't even imagine! You are so amazing that you saw the tender mercies through all of it.

Katrina Rasband said...

oh my! i am still crying! that crazy kid. i can't even begin to imagine what you were feeling. i would have totally forgot about the donut lol glad it all ended well. we are so lucky to have the power of prayer in our lives!

Spencer and Marlee said...

MY gosh!! I would have freaked out too!! I am so glad Mason is alright. When Russ called this morning to let us know that he is fine and you would never even new he fell was a relief!! You were in our prayers!

Kate said...

That is so scary!! I glad everything is ok. My youngest Evie passes out when she cries!! She goes totally purple and looks like she is going to seize. I hate it scares me everytime!!

Jessica said...

so scary...good thing russ was able to get up there and you got a hold of amy (another not so easy task). makes you realize how blessed we are every day.

Anonymous said...

Katie, that boy sure keeps you on your toes!! I'm sorry this happened and SO GLAD he's still "normal" except super smart with a HUGE brain and the ability to break out of his seatbelt!! Glad everything worked out ok.

Jeni said...

OH MY HECK!! I would have been freaking out too! I'm glad he's ok. My sister's girl get's siezures when she has a fever, I just that would be so scary to watch.

Diana said...

K! So I see that I am not the only one to cry. Evan knows I am a bawl baby and still laughs at me everytime. I was reading this out loud to him and had to keep stopping cause I couldn't talk or see the screen. You are amazing! You were so calm yesterday...I guess the worst of it was over by the time we talked...but still! You are a great example to me!!!

Becky said...

oh, Bless your heart Katie...Those moments are the worste as a mother. But, if you can spot out the Tender Mercies along the way you sure realize how much you were taken care of through the whole ordeal, and it totally strengthens your testimony. So glad he is alright.

Di and Justin said...

wow if I could read to type now (from all the tears) I AM SOO SORRY that happened. You handled it better than I think I would have... Love you all lots and give the kids a hug for me...
Love those prayers, I don't care who you are he hears and answers them ALL...

Beam Family said...

We are so sorry you had to go through that. Unfortunately, we have experienced the same panic. There is nothing worse than having your child seem lifeless right before you eyes. The worst thing is there is nothing you can do! Little children are such fighters and bounce right back to normal, like nothing happened. We are glad that he is OK and back to normal.

Neysa said...

Wow Katie, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. That is REALLY scary. Glad everything is okay.

Neysa said...

Also, I forgot to say that gave me the chills and I got teary eyed. How AMAZING. I am SO GREATFUL to have the gospel in my life. I FEEL SO BAD for people that don't have it. They are SURE missing out A LOT of what good it can do.

Tucker said...

Oh man, that is scary. Thank goodness you have Russ for some peace of mind!

sweetvictorya said...

What a story. I had the same response to it that everyone else did. Glad to know Mason is okay. I'd still follow up on his head injury because most people who have seizures for no apparent reason (I know his was from this fall) have them due to some type of head injury. Even if there isn't visible scar tissue.
Just keep this in mind if he has seizures later in life for no reason. I am not trying to worry you at all and people will probably be offended by this comment, however I fell off my bike when I was 15 and have had a few seizures (for no reason) since then. I am well medicated so I haven't had one in a long time. But neurologists don't know why and think that fall was the cause.

Jennie Minor said...

how scary! I can't believe that story! WOW! glad that everything came out ok.