Friday, April 6, 2012

Chickens


 I have a gym student who brings me fresh eggs from their chickens each week to class and they are oh so good!  It's become kind of the new craze right now to get chickens and after eating all those yummy fresh ones the past couple months we decided we would jump on the band wagon as well.

 Reeslyn chose a White Leghorn and named it White Banana Split "Bananas"
Mallory chose a Pro Red and named it Red Strawberry Patches "Patches"
Mason chose a Barred Rock and named it Rock Tiger Zord
"Tiger"

We had an unfortunate accident when the chicks were about 2 weeks old.  The boys next door forgot to put Daisy away before getting the chicks out and Rock Tiger Zord is no longer with us.  It was quite traumatic for the kids and we had to have a graveside service and everything.  Needless to say we went back to the feed store and we now have Rock Tiger Zord Junior.

3 comments:

Claire said...

They are so cute at that stage, but I sure do love it when they are big enough to produce yummy eggs!! :) And we lost several chicks in the beginning :( We're on our second "Minnie"

Alli said...

Chickens are super fun, we had them for a while at our other house. I wish we could have them here but I can't figure out a way to make it work yet... Plus they eat all your weeds and crickets, and bermuda grass.

Alli said...

Also, I love the names! We had one named Fishblob. Kids are wacky.